Maybe you're apartment hunting for your first apartment in Ridgeland, SC, whether you are a college student, grad student, recent college grad, or baby boomer, whatever your situation there are some things to consider before you sign a 12 month lease.
Here are a few tips when renting:
Before you even start looking for a 1-bedroom apartment in Ridgeland, SC, know how much you can afford to spend. Housing is the biggest monthly expense for most people so if you miscalculate how much rent you can afford, your budget will suffer. In addition to rent, there are additional expenses like security deposit, utilities, cable, Internet, renters insurance, and one-time move-in expenses like window treatments, appliances or rugs.
Check out the neighborhood before you sign. Determine how safe you feel walking around. Come back to see if the neighborhood's character changes at night or on the weekend. Also note the proximity to parks, schools, grocery stores, public transportation and busy commuter routes.
Thoroughly inspect each potential rental:
- Look at total useable space.
- Use a tape measure to measure each room to determine whether your furniture will fit. Ensure there's sufficient closet, cupboard and storage space.
- Look for safety features like deadbolts and peepholes, well-lit corridors, stairwells and parking areas, smoke detectors, fire extinguishers.
- In multi-unit buildings, note the condition of common areas.
- Note the condition of appliances, plumbing fixtures, floors/carpeting, electrical outlets and switches, light fixtures, walls and windows.
Once you find a suitable place, read the rental agreement carefully.
And finally, be aware that many landlords check credit reports of potential tenants. HHHunt apartments report on-time rental payments in order to help boost your credit ratings.
For more information on Auston Chase Apartments, contact us.
Cherry Creek News